This Yoga Wheel is a fabulous prop to enhance enjoyment of your yoga practice.
When I first got my Yoga Wheel, I worked out a few basic things to do but then was a bit stuck. I looked around Instagram and other social media and found some beautiful pictures and videos, but a lot of the poses were quite advanced.
So I thought I'd put together a few things that most people could try.....
| || |
Spinal Massage + Backbend
The first thing you'll want to do is give yourself a massage!
1. From a seated position, put the Yoga Wheel in the middle of your mat and lean the middle of your back onto the wheel, feet firm on the mat.
2. Lift your hips and use your legs to rock yourself back and forth along the length of your spine. **Warning** Long hair needs to be tied up!!
3. After a few times back and forth, when the wheel is at your lower back, slide your hands out to the side and then overhead and rest here for a minute or two. Legs can be straight or bent.
| || |
Deeper Backbend (upper back)
1. From a seated position, rest your upper back onto the Yoga Wheel and then reach your hands overhead, bend your elbows and grab the Wheel.
2. Lift your bottom up and start rolling back and forth exploring the sensations in your upper back and neck.
3. Drawing your elbows towards each other, about as wide as your shoulders, gently start to roll your elbows towards the floor.
Tip: Go easy with this. Move slowly. Your elbows may not touch the floor the first time. Give your body time to open up.
| || |
1. Put your Yoga Wheel in the middle of your mat and roll all the way back until your shoulders come to the ground.
2. Hold the edge of the Yoga Wheel and send your legs up with the lower back nicely nestled around the wheel.
3. Stay for a minute or two or more (way longer than this little video shows!)
4. Come down by getting a little momentum with the legs and rolling down. Weeeeee...…
| || |
1. Come onto hands and knees, hook your ankles over the wheel, have your hands forward of your shoulders.
2. Inhale - rock your shoulders forward so they are directly above your wrists.
3. Exhale -lift your knees and roll the wheel back so you are in plank pose.
4. Inhale - stay in plank, lift your belly to your spine, lift the sides of your waist up.
5. Exhale - lower your knees, send your bottom back to your heels.
6. Repeat 5-10 times : )
| || |
Core Strength + Handstand Prep
1. Come onto hands and knees, hook your ankles / bottom of your shins over the wheel, lift your knees so you are in plank pose.
2. Inhale - using your belly muscles, roll forward until you are on your tippy toes and look towards your belly.
3. Exhale - keeping the belly muscle engaged, roll the wheel back so you're in plank pose again.
4. Repeat 5-10 times.
Tip: It's easy to accidentally rely on your lower back muscles to do the hardest part of the roll forward. Really hand over the task to your belly muscles.
Happy Forward Folds
1. Sit with your left leg folded back and your right calf resting on the wheel (you may need to sit on a folded blanket).
2. For a few deep breaths, hold both sides of your right foot and sit up very tall through the spine and open through your chest.
3. Keeping the spine lifted and the chest open, fold forward and hold for a few deep breaths.
Tip: When folded, lift your elbows and soften you shoulders to keep the pose "lifted".
| || |
1. Sit on the Yoga Wheel, feet together, knees together.
2. Inhale - reach your left hand up and get very long in the left side of your body.
3. Exhale - hook you left elbow onto your outer right knee, palms together and thumbs lightly touching your chest (if possible).
4. Inhale - fill your lungs, lengthen both side of your waist.
5. Exhale - deepen the twist by pressing you hands together, pressing your elbow and knee together, squeezing your knees together, and lightly resting your upper back and head back.
6. Try 5 deep breaths of each side.